Trial No. 4
Home | Annotated Bibliography (ABR) | Pain de Campagne | Trial No. 1 | Trial No. 2 | Trial No. 3 | Trial No. 4 | Trial No. 5 | Pain a l'Ancienne | Baking with Julia (pics) | The Bread Baker's Apprentice (pics) | Hodge Podge (miscellaneous pics) | Bibliography | Cinnamon Buns vs. Sticky Buns

Back In the Running, For the Time Being...


Breads, Books & Biscotti

I've been maintaining my starters not with any set recipe lately, but rather by look, feel and smell. I added a small pinch of yeast to the crock when I can tell the starter is listless and not responding to any length of fermentation on the counter or in fridge. The small pinch (1/16th of a teaspoon, maybe even less) really kicks the starter into action. I keep the starter somewhat goopy but elastic when stirred.

I don't have much luck with a wetter starter, although I have thought about making it very firm like "old dough" and using a walnut size piece for each loaf, and replenishing the starter by using more flour than water.

I've drastically altered my hydration of the dough as well as holding off on the rye flour (pungent brick results, see Trial #3- probably too much rye). I experimented again - two separate boules were made with approximately 1 cup of starter (goopy) with a combination of white and whole wheat flours and white cornmeal (slight textural bite) and the bread dough was kneaded until it had the same feel as my usual pain d'ordinaire, baguette doughs.

I've been inclined to go by the feel and look of my dough lately. I think I'm back in the running - they both proofed beautifully. The bread dough that had been chilled for a short time (1/2 hr) proofed better than the dough that did not get any refrigeration. When I slashed the chilled boule, the dough sort of *popped* open like a newly opened can of frozen biscuits :) Also, since I work in a fairly chilly kitchen, I place the proofing colander atop a rack over the oven range that's heated. This seems to do a great job with the final proof.

As for chafing the boules - I noticed a difference between the 2 boules. The first one I worked somewhat assertively to tighten the boule and ended up with a beautiful exterior, nice crisp crust, lovely oven spring - but - it was a tight crumb, it didn't quite match the artisanal exterior. Still tasted OK but somewhat "supermarket" quality. Second boule I treated more tenderly than a baby's bottom and the holes have returned - somewhat flatter boule and smallish holes, OK flavor - an encouraging and fruitful endeavor. (Unfortunately we ate it all before we had a chance to snap a shot of it...c'est la vie) I may need to experiment with the 3 levain method for an upcoming Trial.

[See supporting comment below.]



The above has been retrieved from the newsgroup from my own postings and modified for the purposes of this web page. These are my words only. If you are interested in viewing the entire thread, please visit